Learn how to make these beautiful DIY Paper Bag Stars for holiday decorations.
Don’t you love when crafts you made as a child, teenager, young adult and now parent are still relevant? Well, these paper bag stars are just that!
I first remember making these paper bag stars as a child – with brown lunch sacks and paste. Yes, the paste that some kids in class would always try and eat! Ha!
You also might have seen these handmade stars on the internet this month – they have been an Instagram darling these last few weeks. Regardless of their popularity – we wanted to share our versions. These DIY Paper Bag Stars bring back such wonderful memories of crafting.
These DIY Paper Bag Stars make the perfect holiday decor since they resemble snowflakes.
Hand Dyed Paper Bag Stars
A new spin on the traditional brown bag star is using white bags. You know we love dyeing fabrics (indigo, ice dye, natural dye). We used a dip dye method with the white bags to give a tie dye vibe. You could even dye the entire bag if you’d like. W have made these for a baby shower before and used different shades of pink dye. So pretty!
- White paper bags
- Tan Rit Dye
- Plastic bowl
- Hot glue gun
- Hole punch
- First start by dyeing the white bags. I used tan Rit Dye. Pour desired amount of dye into hot water and mix. Dip the top half of bag into dye for about one minute. I hung mine from my clothing drying rack. Allow to completely dry.
- Next choose a pattern. You will need 7 bags to make a star. We used pinking shears to create a zig zag look at the edges. See images for the two patterns we used.
- Cut all 7 bags with the same patter.
- Add a hole punch for more detail!
- Lay the bag flat, with the smooth part facing up. Add a “T” of glue and lay the next bag on top.
- After glueing the 7 bags, add glue to the front of bag and pull the last and first bag together. I like to slide my hands inside those bags to pull together.
- Tape onto the wall using scoth tape or my personal favorite – sticky tac
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
BlueSnail Stainless Steel Pinking Shears Comfort Grip Handled Professional Fabric Crafts Dressmak…
AdTech 0453 2-Temp Dual Temperature Hot Glue Gun Full Size, White
Perfect Stix – Brown Bag 4-100 4lb Brown Paper Lunch Bags – Pack of 100ct
Perfect Stix 4lb Kraft White Paper Bags – Pack of 100ct (Kraft White Bag 4-100)
View this post on Instagram
DIY Paper Bag Star Patterns
See a few of the patterns we made for the stars.
You can also buy pattered bags and other solid colors to create beautiful decor. How cool would white paint look splattered on the front of the brown paper bag stars?