This 29-storey development located on the fringe of Perth’s CBD, stands as a testament to the city’s rich printing history. Comprising 219 apartments ranging from studios to two bedrooms, the building integrates design elements inspired by traditional printing processes into its facade. The tower’s elevations, for example, reflect the appearance of books or newspapers, honouring the historical printing precinct it inhabits.

More importantly, however, it’s addressed at the housing affordability crisis afflicting Australian cities. Initiated under the state government’s Housing Diversity Project, 195 Pier Street is the first BTR development for social and affordable housing by DevelopmentWA in collaboration with Housing Choices WA and Super Housing Partnerships. The objective is to tackle housing needs while simultaneously revitalising the north-eastern area of Perth’s CBD.

“This project ticks all the boxes and will deliver more than 200 new well-located homes for Western Australians,” said Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese as he announced the news. 

“It will mean key workers can live and work in the same community and provide new homes to Western Australians in need, including older women at risk of homelessness. Our decision to unlock more funding for social and affordable homes is helping to deliver projects just like this across the country. 

“It’s all part of our plan to give more Australians a safe and affordable place to call home.”

Related: Questions of housing density with SJB’s Adam Haddow

Hassell’s Perth BTR housing gets thumbs up from the Prime Minister

The ground floor of 195 Pier Street is dedicated to fostering a sense of community living, featuring flexible co-working spaces, a corner food and beverage tenancy, and office space for Housing Choices WA. The extensive podium level serves as a community hub, providing shared amenities aimed at promoting social interaction among residents.

A notable aspect of the development is its commitment to social impact. 30 per cent of the housing units will be allocated to social housing, contributing significantly to affordable housing initiatives. The remaining 70 per cent will include affordable housing and market rentals, accommodating a diverse range of residents, including those requiring specialist disability accommodation.

Beyond its role in meeting housing demands, 195 Pier Street aims to strategically leverages its proximity to key attractions and major transport hubs to uplift the north-eastern area of Perth’s CBD. The development aspires to inject life, vibrancy and activity into the surrounding community, aligning with the broader goals of urban renewal and sustainable city development.

“The design captures the printing past of the area,” says Hassell Senior Associate, Alex Jones. “It builds upon the great connections the building has to the city and surrounds to create a vibrant and inclusive urban community. Here, residents can feel supported and safe, embrace the opportunities provided, and, most importantly, have a place to call home.” 

Hassell
hassellstudio.com

Images
Courtesy of Hassell

More by Hassell: Hub Martin Place, a dynamic Sydney workplace.

The post Hassell’s Perth BTR housing gets thumbs up from the Prime Minister appeared first on Indesign Live: Interior Design and Architecture.

©